Monday, February 19, 2018

Approaching the Bench By Chantal Fernado

Approaching the Bench (Conflict of Interest, #3)Approaching the Bench by Chantal Fernando
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I first read the synopsis of this book I was intrigued. Trinity is a woman that is in a position of power. She doesn’t apologize about who or what she is. Being the youngest judge in her field is an accomplishment. However she has built such a wall around her it’s hard for anyone to see the real Trinity. Enter Callum who is the complete opposite. He is talkative, outgoing and basically an open book.

Even though he is quite younger than Trinity that doesn’t stop him from going after what he wants. One thing that kind of irked me about Trinity is that she was always on the defense. Whenever Callum tried to build a report between the two she immediately goes on the attack about being a woman in a male dominated field. A part of me wanted to tell her to calm down. I will say Callum was a bit forward to be working for her. I kinda liked that he didn’t allow her to run him.

Although I know this book is fiction you really have to suspend your belief in reality for a second. So she gets death threats through the mail from time to time. But doesn’t keep any of the evidence? What if the threats turn out to be serious now you have no evidence and nowhere to start? Oh but wait she knew exactly who it was after some thought. It could have been a little more suspense surrounding that. Both of the characters seemed very young in nature. I would have liked to see more of the legal aspect shown in this book.

I did like the relationship with Callum and Justin. But this book was missing something for me. I didn’t feel a deep attraction between the two characters most of it was on the surface. The interactions between the two felt like a running list of day to day activities. For example when they finally get alone time together it was like what will they do on the farm? When something finally did happen it was short lived. I understand this was a short story but it could have been more developed. I like the concept of this series but most of the women characters seem the same, they love rap ( surprisingly); are curvy and fall for the alpha male. I think Trinity could have been a great character with more development. Although this story wasn’t my favorite in the series. Readers check out the series for yourselves.

This is just my opinion not the gospel

** ARC OFFERED THROUGH NETGALLEY**


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment