Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Thick of Things By J.L. Campbell







Synopsis

GENRE: women's fiction with romantic elements, contemporary romance

BLURB: Life has a way of going awry when you least expect it, and Khalila Skyers learns this lesson the hard way. In one devastating blow after another, she loses her cosy existence. Then Douglas Blythe overtakes her life like a flood, and she’s not equipped to deal with an attraction that seems forbidden and overwhelming. But her body and heart want what they want, and leave her wondering if she ever knew herself at all.  

Douglas is determined to help Khalila move beyond her obsession with the past and reach for love a second time. No matter how long it takes. No matter the distance. He’s going to prove he’s worth the risk. 






This was my first read by this author and this book felt like nostalgia for me. For me this book was romance at its truest form. Yes there was a hint of drama but it didn’t over take the story. Khalila is stuck in limbo. She is trying to hold onto a marriage that’s dead and certain parts of her past she has yet to find peace with. Douglas is a true man! He is a gentleman but knows what he wants. I loved that he was so blunt with Khalilia.

 As a reader we got to see these two really date and the courtship process. Let me say home girl went on some good dates and the night caps!!!! I understood with Khalila wasn’t so trusting, her ex was a piece of work. I wanted a times to be like this man is genuinely asking about you why don’t you just tell him? I did not like that she was so hung up with the opinions of others. This is why I think she and Douglas made such a good match, he really was an example of truly living. Some parts the book kind of dragged a bit and I wished for a bit more of a climax. For instance when the ex comes over that whole scene and her reaction. That was a perfect point to release that burden of the past. I wanted a little more from the ending but I felt it was real. These characters don’t have it figured out and Khalilia is growing but not fully there yet. I would love to see more from these characters almost like a finally chapter. All in all I really enjoyed this book it was old school romance for me. Ladies if you are looking for a read that will have you smiling and so relatable this is the read for you. 



Buy Links








2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting and reviewing. Glad you could relate to Douglas and Khalila's journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! This story was romance at its finest!!

      Delete