Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Distraction By Aurora Rose Reynolds





Synopsis: 

Distraction: The great intensity, novelty, or attractiveness of something other than the object of attention. Sven is a man who takes pride in his ability to separate himself from his emotions. He's a man who knows who he is and where he’s going in life, a man who needs no one, because needing someone, anyone, is a weakness. His past taught him love isn’t enough. Maggie wants the happily ever after, but has never picked the right men, or stuck around long enough, to build a forever. It’s always been easier to get out early, before emotions make things messy. When Maggie wakes up naked in Sven’s bed, with no memory of the night before, these two must be honest about their feelings and face their fears, so they can build a future together. Will love be enough for them to get their happy ending together, or will a threat from outside strike them down before they ever have a chance? This book contains an over the top alpha who knows what he wants, it also contains sexual situations that may not be suitable for younger audiences.




Sven….

The introduction to this character had me captivated from the first page. The author starts out with a little background on his horrific childhood and how that helped shaped the complex man that you read about later on in the story. Sven uses sex as a weapon he has learned early on in life to not let women or anyone close to his heart until one day he spots Maggie “Mags” downstairs in his club.

Maggie….

The club life isn’t her scene but she will do anything to find the man who beat and drugged her sister. On a mission she doesn’t expect to come into contact with a live walking Adonis. Because of her sister’s lifestyle and the new man that has entered her life Maggie is in for a rollercoaster.
One of the things I loved about this story was the prologue I wanted to know more about Sven and all his family issues. Unfortunately his issues with his mom were just brushed over and not fully developed. I didn’t understand why share all this information and not mention them again until toward the end of the story. When we were introduced to Maggie she was in her pajamas in a night club looking for the man who harmed her sister and then like a chapter later her sister is healing and at home. As I was reading I was trying to think did I miss something? Why do we hear about this healed sister after she takes the job? Why is she still at the club if her sister is home? ( I understand she wants to prevent this from happening again but with her sisters issues I am sure it’s not an isolated event). I get the seriousness of the issue but Maggie was at the club every night for two weeks?  One thing with this book is that the story has great promise but lacked execution.

I loved this series and love the author’s work this story was just a bit of a letdown for me. I don’t know if it was the fact that Maggie’s characters was to come off as “cute” or “funny” but honestly I felt her very childish and frustrating. I was almost embarrassed for Maggie with the language she used it just seemed as though it was a forced funny i.e. “shizzle” “link-licker” I understand because of her own childhood she and her sister had to raise themselves but where was her since of self-preservation? This story had way too many contradictions for my taste i.e. she models, makes a great salary but has an old school cell phone, unreliable car but is popular because she knows some of Sven associates. At one point I felt like the author was writing about different characters. I think their instant connection was fine but needed to be developed because only and only later in the story did his “mother” issues come up. I found it hard to believe that he being a business man like he is didn’t know she was impaired the first night they were together. Around chapter 4 this story kind of turned around for me a little I felt some emotional connection with Maggie and the fact that she was so heavily depended upon from everyone in her life. I just felt that so much of this story things were mentioned and then brought up again as an afterthought like her boyfriend at the time. They were together he was common of course but still what happened because a few chapters later they weren’t together. ( this is just one of the many examples). I was annoyed with the sister and her approaching Sven the way he did that didn’t seem normal at all. But I did love that the Mayson family was mentioned. All in all this story wasn’t bad it just wasn’t my favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment