Monday, January 5, 2015

Torture To Her Soul (Monster In His Eyes Book 2) By: J.M. Darhower

Torture to her Soul is the much anticipated sequel to the book Monster in His Eyes I suggest reading the first book before you start this story. I was so elated when I got chosen to review this book before it got released.
The story begins with a prologue that gives readers a glimpse into Naz's past and why he is the proverbial Monster. I loved that majority of the story was told from Naz P.O.V. and that we got a better glimpse into the business side of things. As a reader I though this story was way more detailed than the first. We really get to see how Naz really breaks and becomes semi-whole again with the growing love he and Karissa shares. This book begins right where the other book left off. One of the many things I enjoyed is that the author didn't have Karissa immediately forgive Naz she really showed the complexity of destroying trust in a relationship and the hard work it takes to get it back. Because Karissa is so young and naïve she is often a brat in this story but with good reason I her words, "you can't act like you love me then destroy my world the very next." Because she is so hurt and confused by Naz she does everything in her power to avoid him at all costs. Karissa picks up a "cooking" habit which is very funny because the book has some very serious moments. There is a bit of a slow build up and at times I was left waiting for something to happen the anticipation was killing me. Some of the scenes in the book are day to day living with Naz and Karissa. At about 46% the book picks up.
I understand Karrisa being hesitant with her relationship with Naz but she often gives him false hope and it's very frustrating. The back and forth with her emotions annoyed me at times but it was necessary because throughout all of this Karrisa really does build character and presents herself as no longer a scared young girl. We really get to notice the age difference between the two Karrisa is very young but that doesn't mean she can't teach Naz a thing or two. I love that as readers we get to so the inner turmoil and the demons but characters have to battle. One of the highlights for me was dinner with Ray I was shouting finally some drama! Because this book is told primarily from Naz perspective we get introduced to some characters from his past like his family. And with Naz actions speaks louder than words he literally shows Karrisa who he is and it's not all pretty. But that's what love is it won't all be pleasant but you can't help who you love.
Who you think you know and have figured out you don't. I won't give too much of the story away but Naz's inner circle slowly but surely changes and not all for the better. Throughout the book I wondered what did Naz eat. All of the times in the book when they went out he barely ate. How did he sustain himself? I really wanted more from the ending for these two. I know they got closure but I would have liked a glimpse into the future for them. The way the author leaves this story I feel as though there is room for a third story. I was left with some unanswered questions. What happened to Karrisa friend? What has Naz decided for his future? With the little bit of information we were given I am begging the author for a third story. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and can't wait to see what else the author has in store. I would definitely recommend this book. Please judge this book for yourselves and not based on this one review.

No comments:

Post a Comment