Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Loving My Neighbor By: Christopher Maddox

First let me say that this book was recommended to me by a friend. I love new reads and in the IR genre reading a book written by a male a white male at that is very rare. So when this book was suggested to me I immediately dove into it. Unfortunately I was sadly disappointed in this book and its representations of women of color. Below is my review:

Where is the plot? When this story first started off the premise was good but about 10% in the story takes a turn and ends up being more sex than a plot. Scenes, and scenes of the same sex gets a little boring at times. But this is only the tip of the iceberg. Where are the descriptions the only thing I know about the female lead is that she needs a `tan." As a reader we are lead to believe this is a joke but Sabrina kept bringing the issue up. Now let's get down to the big issue for me the issue of race. When both Jason and Sabrina had to tell their parents about the relationship I felt as though I was in the 1960's. One of the scenes Sabrina's mother tells her, "I figured you would marry/date a white guy because you are so pretty." Exactly what does that mean? Only ugly black women date inside their race? Even Jason mentions that he never dated outside his race because the "cute" black girls are taken. This kind of stuff is problematic one it screams ignorance and two the misappropriation of black women are out of control. This is not to bash the author but to bring attention to some issues that he can work on. I found this book was just sex and no attention to the development of the two relationship and all in a span of 2 weeks. I know with some stories you have to suspend your belief in reality but this book was just so far left it wasn't even funny. The race issues, the parents, and just the blatant ignorance about IR relationships. Please judge this book for yourself and not based on this one review.

No comments:

Post a Comment